Image by Ruth Sackheim

Monday, September 12, 2011

The Nitty-Gritty Part of Art

I've spent the last few days figuring out how to wrap the art and transport it to my show. I bought a luggage cart and a large Rubber Maid tub, but the tub was too wide for the elevator door and the cart bumped over the cracks in the sidewalk. I bought bubble wrap and twine but found out that it was going to be very expensive to wrap the pieces.

On Sunday, I went to an art fair and saw that the artists wrapped their work in blankets, towels, or specially-made covers that fit over the framed work. I also saw various kinds of dollies in use. Most had very narrow shelves so it’s hard to imagine how I could transport very many pieces at once.

Next, I began attaching hanging wire. I started with 24 gauge wire, which the man at the hardware store told me would be strong enough. I was skeptical and began twisting the wire so it would better hold the weight of each piece. Finally, I decided that I needed heavier wire.

I plan to return the luggage cart and tub I bought at the hardware store and buy some thicker hanging wire there. Then it’s off to Home Depot for a dolly. I may buy a strap of some sort to secure the art to the cart. Next, I’ll decide whether to use towels to wrap the art. Placing the wrapped art in large garbage bags seems like a good way to keep the towels clean. 

No comments:

Post a Comment